Friday, November 11, 2011

My homemade stew recipe. Because I love to eat.

I have this great stew that I made for my husband a few years ago. When he was just my boyfriend. Awww... Anyway, it was something I just kind of made up, now before you start thinking, "wow she makes up recipes, she must be a top notch cookin' wife," please realize it's super easy and there is no real "recipe" to it, I just kind of did what I wanted and it happened to turn out edible. Not just edible, but delicious, hearty, and perfect for the fall weather. And the best part is, it is fairly low in calories and basically healthy! 

Here are the ingredients for our stew. 
Organic Vegetable Stock
White Rice
Black Beans
Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
[Note: This is the first time I've used chicken, I've been a vegetarian for about 6 years but recently went back to eating Turkey & Chicken. Was a great addition to the stew]
Onion
Zucchini
Bell Pepper
Tomato
Corn 
[Note: I usually get it in cob form, unfortunately the market nearest our house is insufficient and had no cobbed corn. I got canned corn this time...and this time only.]
Squash
Carrots

Now as far as quantities go, however much you want of each is my rule. Last night's stew could probably be 4-6 portions worth so we've got a nice supply of left overs. [I used 2 zucchini, 2 squash, 2 carrots, 4 tomatoes, 1/4 onion, 1 small can corn, 1 bell pepper, 1 cup rice, 1 can black beans, 2 chicken breasts, 3/4 carton of stock] If you prefer certain vegetables more, then add more of those. That's what makes this such an awesome meal...you can make it exactly what you want. You aren't stuck to any precise rules or guidelines.


After preparing all of the yummy ingredients as you saw above, I put the black beans over low heat to cook them slightly, cook the chicken about 3/4 of the way done, and get the rice cooked. 


All the while I add some oil to the stew pot, and throw in the onions to let them cook a little and release their flavors. I then add the bell peppers, tomatoes, and then carrots. Let them cook for a few minutes while you check on the chicken, beans, and rice. The stew pot is on low heat for the entire cooking process.



Add the rest of the vegetables and mix together. Add the vegetable stock so that it fills the pot up to where the vegetables are.


Chop up the chicken in strips or cubes. 

 

Add the chicken, black beans, and white rice to the pot. I added more rice than usual this time (on accident) but again, it's all about your personal preference. The rice, beans, and chicken are what really makes it a hearty meal. 

Once all ingredients are in, add a bit more of the vegetable stock so that it looks as full as it does in the picture above. Cover and let it simmer for about thirty minutes. By the time you take the lid off, most of the stock should be absorbed. 


Serve in generous helpings.


And enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...