Friday, October 21, 2011

Because of condensation

So I've seen lots of different posts through Pinterest on how to make these fabulous homemade coasters, and since we've got some great new tables, I figured the need was calling. My first real craft project. I'm hooked. June Cleaver, hold on to your apron and move out of the way.

Easy supply list. 

White Tiles: Home Depot $.16/ea
Felt: $.25/sheet
Mod Podge: $5
Clear Acrylic Sealer: $6
Fabric Glue: $4
Sponge Brush: $.35
Scrap Book Paper
Scissors 
Pen

Outline the tile onto your chosen piece of scrapbook paper, then cut it out to the size you prefer. I cut it slightly smaller than my tile because I liked having the white border around it.

Using your sponge brush, apply the Mod Podge to the tile evenly and then place your scrap book square on top of it. Quickly slide it around to arrange it just as your heart desires. You only have a few seconds before it dries and cannot be moved. 

Next, apply another even coat of Mod Podge on top of the tile. Always paint in the same direction each time. Make sure to go end to end so that the paper is completely secured down. Watch some of your DVR'd Modern Family while waiting about 10 minutes and add another coat.

Once the Mod Podge has dried clear, take the tiles outside to spray the clear acrylic sealer. Warning, this shit is strong! Smells like you are tagging your gang sign...on your face. Follow the directions on the can, hold your breath and spray. Let sit for 15 minutes. This sealer makes it water proof. 

After feeling sorry for the spider you see dying outside on the porch due to the strong sealer spray, measure your felt and cut to size. I recommend getting a pair of scissors that cuts felt easily. I have blisters. Scissor blisters. No pain, no gain. I think that's what they say.
Next, add fabric glue to the back of the tile and place felt, ensuring all edges and corners are glued down. For best looking tile coaster, cut felt slightly smaller than tile size so that you cant see it from above. I got this handy fabric glue pen that made it super easy, definitely recommend it. I also sanded some of the edges to make it a little smoother.

And there ya have it. Homemade tile coasters made to your liking. I could literally make hundreds with all sorts of designs. Some of these are a gift for a friend. Dont be surprised if this is what you get for Christmas. 

I've got to say, I'm pretty chuffed with myself right now. Also racking my brain trying to organize the dozen other ideas I have for projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...